I grew up farming, earned my degrees in agriculture and understand that farmers and ranchers facing a volatile era for commodities deserve our support. In Congress, I will fight for our farmers, including supporting infrastructure to increase production of value-added products, fighting reckless trade policies and regulations that hurt agriculture, supporting a simplified visa program for foreign workers, and investing in technical assistance for farmers to improve agricultural productivity.
My Priorities Include
- Create opportunities to further differentiate our amazing north state growers with premiums in the marketplace
- Support growers with local processing and necessary infrastructure to increase production of value-added products, reduce food waste, and keep more dollars and jobs local to our district
- Reduce the regulatory burden on farmers and ranchers by supporting innovative projects that increase conservation and environmental outcomes while streamlining regulatory processes
- Invest in expanded technical assistance to farmers to implement conservation practices through increases of funding to the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and base funding for resource conservation districts
- Partner with federal, state, and local agencies to invest in migrant farmworker housing to provide critical support to the agricultural labor force by increasing overall worker health, dignity, and retention
- Promote grazing as an important management tool for our public lands and support continued access to public lands
- Promote soil-based carbon credits and carbon reduction markets to mitigate climate change while creating new revenue streams for producers
- Cultivate the region as a true agritourism destination
- Develop opportunities for young farmers and ranchers in their ability to access land and capital. Additionally, provide training and implementation-support for sound succession planning
- Invest in a soil-based approach to carbon drawdown that will simultaneously improve environmental health, reduce chemical inputs, maintain or improve farm productivity, and increase our resilience to droughts and other disasters caused by climate change.